Welcome to episode 10 of the AI Ireland podcast, the show that breaks down the hype and explores the impact that Data Science, Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence are making on our everyday lives.
Our goal is to share with you the insights of technologists and data science enthusiasts to showcase the excellent work that is been done within AI in Ireland.
Today’s guest is Jim Dowling, who is the CEO of Logical Clocks and the lead architect of Hops Hadoop, the world’s fastest and most scalable Hadoop distribution and only Hadoop platform with support for GPUs as a resource. Originally from Dublin, Jim is now living in Sweden where he is the Associate Professor at KTH Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm. His research concentrates on building systems support for machine learning at scale.
In today’s really interesting episode, you will learn about:
- What inspired Jim to set up Hops Hadoop
- Challenges he faced in building the first hierarchal file system with distributed metadata
- The importance of feedback from commercial stakeholders
- Benefits the platform can bring to their customers, such as Swedish manufacturer Scania
- What it was like to win at the 2018 PAPI conference startup battle in London
- The ultimate goal with Hops Hadoop and Logical Clocks
- Jim’s predictions for what’s in store for the future of AI, including the impact of deep learning
What did you make of Jim podcast? Where do you see the future of AI and data science heading in the next few years? I would love to hear your thoughts so please leave a comment below.
If you would like to hear more from AI Ireland then please subscribe and don’t forget to like and share with your friends on social media.
Subscribe to the AI Ireland Podcast:
AI Awards 2018: Applications Now Open
Connecting Ireland’s AI ecosystem for a higher purpose
Applications are now open for you to take part in the inaugural AI Awards and showcase your skills and expertise to the AI community on the island of Ireland.
The AI Awards is a not-for-profit organisation dedicated to promoting, advancing and rewarding corporate and academic excellence in Artificial Intelligence (AI) innovation, research & development and products.
It is our mission to support the AI community by recognising the hard work and dedication of those working in the field and to help promote and market Ireland globally as the first-choice home for AI investment and job creation in research and product development.
For more information about the awards, you can see more information here.